Senator Wiener District Internships
Senator Scott Wiener, representing California’s 11th District, seeks enthusiastic, inquisitive, and dedicated college students and recent college graduates for our District Internship Program. Senator Wiener is a champion for issues affecting everyday Californians, and has continuously led the fight to tackle our housing crisis, foundationally restructure our environment, transportation, criminal justice, and healthcare systems, and amplify the voices of the LGBTQ community.
Our internship program offers a unique opportunity to learn about the functions of state government, and the work that the Senator is doing for the City and County of San Francisco, Daly City, Colma, Broadmoor, South San Francisco, and the State of California. Interns will have the opportunity to work directly with state agencies, research policy, assist constituents, learn from community leaders, and more. Candidates from historically disenfranchised backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- A passion for public service, politics, and community work
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral
- An ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Highly detail-oriented and a willingness to adapt to new tasks
- Experience with Word, Excel, and Google Suite
- Proficiency in Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, or Tagalog desired but not required
- **Please note, we will be working remotely for the foreseeable future
- Assisting staff in planning virtual press conferences and community events
- Researching and drafting responses for constituent correspondence
- Organizing community support for various legislative proposals
- Conducting policy research on issue areas of interest
- Office administrative support including, greeting constituents, answering phones, data entry, and organizing press clips
Our internships are unpaid but school and university credit are available. Schedules remain flexible, but interns are expected to commit to a minimum of 8-12 hours per week.
Deadline: The Summer internship application deadline is Wednesday, March 30 at 5PM or until all internship positions are filled. Prospective applicants are encouraged to apply early.
To Apply: Please submit your applications at: tinyurl.com/sd11-summer22
A complete application will include the following: (1) resume and (2) cover letter that explains your interest in the position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please direct any questions to Elisa.Yeung@sen.ca.gov with the subject line: Internship Inquiry